Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Curren$y - The Stoned Immaculate Review by Dave Caldwell



As much as I would like to take credit for this excellent review you're about to read, I sadly cannot. The following review was written by good friend, fellow blogger, and the Trap's Basquiat Dave Caldwell of Back2Pluto. This is the first of what I hope to be many collaborations between Digital Drop, Dave and Back2Pluto. Nothing more to say other than enjoy.

Album ReviewCurren$y The Stoned Immaculate

First off, I’d like to thank Drop Gawd for letting a young goon write this review for Digital Drop.  Second, a disclaimer:  If you know me, you know that Curren$y is my favorite rapper.  This review will be very difficult, because I have to put my personal biases aside.  I will try to make this review as unbiased as possible, but bear with me.

With The Stoned Immaculate, we have Curren$y tiptoeing the line between what the industry wants, and what his fans want. After remaining unsigned since his Young Money days, Curren$y signed with Warner Bros, and prepped his first studio album. This was the most anticipated release of the year to me, because I wanted to see what Spitta would do. I had been let down by the major label debuts of  Wiz Khalifa, J. Cole and Big Sean, artists who also remained unsigned for a while before signing. I was hoping that Spitta would keep it G like he stated on “Perfect Time” off The Jet Files.  And much to my excitement, he did.

The Stoned Immaculate takes the Curren$y we know, and adds a little bit of mainstream to him, but it accomplishes this in a way that doesn’t destroy his artistic integrity. Curren$y recruited his most diverse selection of producers he ‘s ever brought to the table; production credits include Bink!, Tone P (formerly of Best Kept Secret), The Neptunes,  J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League, Cardo, Daz and Big K.R.I.T. What comes of this is a sound that is reminiscent of a Rick Ross album, but , JET-lifed. Curren$y is carried by the production of the album, this, combined with a great selection of features (TWO CHAAAAAAAIIIINNNNNZZZZZZZ), provided a great twist on the classic Spitta.

The album did have some weak spots. The track “Sunroof” with Cornerboy P, is passable at best, with a lazy sample and a lazier verses. “What It Look Like” with Wale is a cool single, but didn’t impress me that much, and the video was kinda wack too.  However, there are MANY bright spots. The Cardo produced “Showroom” is probably Cardo’s best beat he’s done, and it’s probably my favorite track. The Wiz aided tracks “No Squares” and “JET Life” bring back that classic How Fly chemistry that we saw a few years back. The J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League produced “Take You There” (feat. Marsha Ambrosius) and “That's The Thing” (feat. Estelle) should be the next singles.

Overall, I loved The Stoned Immaculate.  Mainly because Curren$y was able to touch the mainstream without losing his soul. Curren$y always keeps it G, and I have come to expect nothing less from him,

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

- Dave, Writer from Back2Pluto.com

0 comments: