Tuesday, December 4, 2012

[Album] Surp - for the LOVE of SOUND


Just as with the actual cover to the project, the artist known as Surp is shrouded in mystery. All I know about him is that he has a habit of dropping songs/projects seemingly out of nowhere, he is the SoundCloud God, he raps very well, he is from New York and is in a group called Backwards Society. Surp's for the LOVE of SOUND originally had a release date of October 31st, however it was delayed for whatever reason and than Surp decided to drop it randomly with no warning on November 21st. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least and immediately downloaded the project and listened.

Right off the album starts off in a weird way with "Start ." an instrumental that seems like it would sound more at home on his Blunted Renditions series, needless to say I just chalked it up to typical Surp-ism (new word) and left it at that. What happens over the next 15 tracks is superb lyricism and other worldly metaphors. Aside from "Hello ." which is essentially "Start .", I won't pretend to know why Surp started and ended the album with such odd instrumentation but I won't knock it either. Surp is what underground Hip-Hop is at it's finest. The project features no hooks, and yet you don't seem to notice or mind. Curren$y is another artist, who can do this and still have me invested in the track oddly enough. 

Although every track is dope and for the most part I enjoyed the majority of for the LOVE of SOUND, there are a few tracks which stood out from the rest and I want to give a little shine to those. First off "Prawllum", the track that caught my attention and made me a fan of Surp in the first place. Also, a perfect example of why I think so highly of his lyricism, just a flat out verbal assault of lyricism in the best form. Next is "Bad Character ." which features Surp spitting over a Madlib joint and effortlessly dropping bars, almost as if was freestyled. "MellSURP" is the collaboration between rMell and Surp and stands out due mainly to the former's production and the later laces it and doesn't let the beat outshine him."Hot Hawaiian Punch ." and "Bullshit" both stand out for the same reasons. Lastly, "This is for you ." which is amazing for the simple fact that Surp states his parents were arguing while he was recording it. Now that may not seem like much but for the song to have such a peaceful vibe and for it to have be recorded while something opposite of that was happening and for Surp to be able to maintain the vibe throughout the song made it stand out to me.

To wrap this up, and I promise this isn't a review (Surp don't be mad) just an analyzation. for the LOVE of SOUND is one of the illest projects this year and for some strange reason I feel like Surp wasn't even trying to accomplish that. From my perspective he seems to genuinely enjoy making music and doesn't to much care for the attention that comes with it, as talented as he is. "I could be wrong, even though I maybe be right" (kudos if you know where that's from) but oh well. Nothing else to say other than listen and be sure to keep Surp on your radar for the next couple of years. I think homie is gonna do some big things. 

Stream below or download



0 comments: