Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor 5th Anniversary (A Letter To Lupe)


      This album without a doubt is the major reason why I love Hip-Hop and Rap as much as I do. Until this album came out I thought rap could only be about money, cars and bitches. When I first heard Kick, Push it changed my life because I realized that rap and hip-hop could be totally something else. There was no explicit lyrics, no cars, no hoes, and no money. It was a simple story about a young man and his skateboard. The whole album itself is a story and an amazing one at that.

     Lupe taught me that story telling and lyrics were just as important as a good beat or a catchy hook. From Day Dream to Real to Hurt Me Soul and Sunshine there are tons of hidden messages, metaphors and similes to find. One thing that I love about a Lupe track is that no matter how many times you listen to it you always hear something new, a new line or a metaphor that you previously didn't understand. It's beautiful, to simply put it. To wrap this up, Food & Liquor is an classic album just as The Cool is, and while Lasers may not be his best it is still better than most albums out now. Lupe Fiasco once again is the reason for my love of Hip-Hop/Rap music, because if I didn't discover his music I probably wouldn't even be typing this sentence right now, let alone running a music blog. Congrats and thanks, Lupe.

Sid.

0 comments: