Sunday, September 18, 2011

Kurtis Blow Jr. - Champagne Dreams & Purple Clouds


Download: Champagne Dreams & Purple Clouds
Mario Kart


I came across this mixtape randomly just searching for new music to listen to, and while I have heard a track from Kurtis Blow Jr. before (and was impressed) this is my first introduction to his "sound". With that being said I was really impressed by the production, it evokes a spacey-tripped out feeling even if you don't smoke. Now despite the name and cover it is not just an weed rapper rapping weed raps. While the majority of the tracks do give the typical weed song vibe, the production sets it apart. Funny thing is I enjoyed this mixtape but I actually liked  the tracks that were not weed-related, because Kurtis really shines lyrically to me when given free-reign of his lyrical skills. Mario Kart is a good example of this and is my favorite track, though I think Kurtis will probably be know for his spacey sound which isn't bad because wither it be a weed song or just him spitting lyrics he impresses, and is definitely worth a listen.


0 comments: